Bursting with rich and nourishing ingredients, this gluten and dairy free cake will have the family singing for seconds.
Gluten free | Refined sugar free | Dairy free
Recipe by Jacqueline Alwill: The Brown Paper Bag
Makes one large cake
- 360g Well Naturally No Sugar Added Rich Dark Chocolate
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150g almond meal
- 250g beetroot, peeled and grated
- 200g Well Naturally No Sugar Added Rich Dark Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 400g coconut cream
Find more recipes from Jacqueline Alwill here:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Line a spring form cake tin with baking paper. Grease the base and sides with coconut oil.
- To melt the chocolate, heat a saucepan of water until gently simmering and place a stainless steel mixing bowl on top. Break the chocolate into pieces and place in bowl. Allow to slowly melt, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Combine the coconut oil, dates, eggs, vanilla, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Gently stir through the almond meal and grated beetroot. Using a spatula, pour the melted chocolate into the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the lined cake tin and bake for 45-55 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
- While the cake is baking, make the ganache: In a medium saucepan heat the coconut cream gently until just boiling. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the chocolate pieces until melted and smooth.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to sit for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack with a lined baking tray underneath.
- Once the cake has cooled use a spatula to spread the ganache over the top of the cake.