Dense and delicious, this indulgent cake dishes up the goodness of prunes, walnuts and dark chocolate. The sea salt enhances the flavor of the chocolate. Celebrate the wellness life with a decadent slice.
Gluten free | Grain free | Refined sugar free |
Recipe by Hayley Cavicchiolo
- 1 cup pitted prunes, finely chopped
- 220ml natural prune juice, no added sugar
- 250g walnut meal
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 90g organic butter or macadamia / coconut oil, melted
- 1 heaped cup Well Naturally Rich Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Natvia
- 5 free range eggs, separated
- Pinch of sea salt
- 200g Well Naturally Rich Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
Find more recipes from Hayley here:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced)
- Heat prune juice in a small pot over gentle heat and add prunes. Bring to a low simmer before removing from heat and allowing mixture to sit for 25-30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate, stirring in the butter/oil until evenly combined, smooth and free of any lumps. Once mixture cools, add the walnut meal, psyllium husk, baking powder, Natvia and egg yolks, whisking together until well mixed and of even consistency.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites together with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks begin to form, being careful not to overdo it and cause separation.
- Fold half of the beaten egg whites through the chocolate mix and then add the prunes and remaining egg white, lightly folding to combine but being careful not to over mix as you want to keep the cake light and moist.
- Pour mixture into a greased and lined (with baking paper) 22cm round cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in tin for 12 minutes before turning into a wire rack to cool completely.
To Prepare Chocolate Icing:
- Melt chocolate and stir through coconut / macadamia oil until smooth and glossy. Once slightly cooled, pour over cake and sprinkle with some chopped walnuts and halved prunes before cutting and serving.