The classic banana cake experiences a cheeky twist in this delightful recipe. Luscious and flavourful, it’s the perfect winter pick-me-up. The choc-chips scattered throughout provide an indulgent, melt-in-the-mouth experience. A new family favourite!
Refined Sugar Free | Grain free | Vegan
Recipe by Hayley Cavicchiolo
- 1 cup fine almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup Natvia
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup Well Naturally Rich Dark Chocolate, chopped into chunky chips
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 chia ‘eggs’ (see Note)
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Sift the first 7 dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas together with the vanilla, melted coconut oil, chia eggs and coconut cream until evenly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the banana mixture and stir through until combined.
- Add the chocolate, using a whisk to combine them evenly through the mix.
- Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake for around 45-50 minutes, or until the top of loaf is firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean.
- To avoid burning, if loaf begins to brown too early, cover it with baking paper for the remainder of cooking time.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool before serving.
Note: Chia eggs are made by soaking 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in 3 tablespoons of water (per “egg”). They are the ideal vegan alternative to real eggs, providing a similar consistency in baking, as well as nutrients and health benefits.
Find more recipes from Hayley here: